Pages

STELLA...Well Worth the Wait

After several menu changes and some growing pains, STELLA has become EXACTLY what University Heights (A tiny town surrounded by Iowa City) needed.  Nestled in a residential neighborhood in the shadow of University of Iowa's Kinnick Stadium, STELLA has found a way to serve high quality food in an atmosphere that will welcome you back time and time again.

I walked in today for lunch and the place was packed.  (A good sign for any restaurant.) The manager, Rock, immediately greeted me and told me my wait would be only five minutes.  He was correct.  But during my five minute wait, three servers all stopped to greet me and make sure I had been helped.  What a great way to start my lunch!  After my friend and I were seated, our smiling server was quick to bring our drinks and take our orders when we were ready, but she never made us feel rushed.

Wedge Salad with crispy bacon, tomatoes and croutons,
topped with homemade bleu cheese dressing. 

Crispy plain wings with bleu cheese and BBQ sauce on the side.
A short time later, our food arrived.  We shared an order of wings (my weakness) and we each ordered a small wedge salad. (I rarely eat iceberg lettuce since we all know the nutrient level is minimal in pale lettuce leaves, but that cold, crispy wedge of lettuce brought back happy memories of special restaurant trips with my family when I was a child-a time when iceberg lettuce was the only game in town.) Both the salad and the wings were delicious. The salad had just the right amount of dressing, and it was obvious that all the ingredients were freshly prepared and chilled.  And even though the wings were large, they were perfectly cooked--not an easy feat to accomplish.  I would order both items again-for sure. Our drinks were refilled several times...and each time accompanied by a smile. 

The menu has a HUGE selection of burgers and chicken sandwiches, plus specialty Cajun selections and Iowa crafted beers.  The decision to use local, homegrown products is clear-and appreciated.

I'm anxious to return to sample their Sunday Brunch menu.  In fact, I can hear the Eggs Benedict calling my name right now... 

STELLA...You're my new BFF!!!

Stella on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE hearing from you! Just type your comments
and let me know how my recipes and tips work for you.
Patty Mishler
"The Epicurean Explorer"